Connect with us


Spain travel warning over key document – it may ‘be more difficult to get in’



The ambassador for Britain has warned that they could face delays and difficulties crossing the border if they are not armed with the right travel documents. New requirements are also set to impact tourists when the new Entry Exit System (EES) comes into force.

For expats, ensuring they have the correct documents will help them pass through the border more easily when the EES commences.

British Ambassador to Spain, Hugh Elliott said: “It’s really important that any British person who lives in Spain gets the TIE – not only because it is the most durable and dependable way to prove your rights in Spain, but also to avoid disruption at the border when the EU’s Entry-Exit Scheme comes into force.

“We are working with the Spanish Government and the EU to prepare for the implementation of this new scheme and we have requested that more TIE appointments are made available.

“Please keep checking our Living In Guide and social media pages for more information.”

Most Britains living in Spain will already have the TIE by now, which came into force after Brexit when the nation abandoned the formerly issued paper Green Certificate. However, anyone who does not have a TIE, they are being urged to get one as soon as possible before the introduction of the EU’s new EES.

The EES will replace the current passport stamping at the border and will hold visitor details on file for three years. This will help keep track of how long people are staying in the Schengen Area.

To be exempt from registering with the EES, Britons who have residency in the EU will need to show a valid uniform-format biometric card. For Spain, this is the TIE.

British tourists visiting Spain will also be required to purchase a short-stay visa which will be valid for three years or until their current passport expires, whichever is sooner.

The European Travel Information and Authorisation System (ETIAS) are set to launch in 2025 and will require £6 to apply.

You will only need to apply for one ETIAS in a three-year period unless your passport expires before the end of the three years.

Continue Reading