Connect with us

NBA

Premier League news live

Published

on

Sheffield Wednesday boss Danny Rohl has confirmed the club will not be signing free agent Nico Schulz.

Wednesday remain second-from-bottom in the Championship despite winning each of their last four league games, but they will not be signing the former German international full-back.

Schulz, 30, was released by Borussia Dortmund last year after being charged with domestic abuse. Schulz denied the allegations.

Legal proceedings came to an end last week when the case against him was dropped. Schulz agreed to pay €150,000 (£128,000) to domestic violence charities — but was not convicted, with the case officially dropped.

Sheffield Wednesday Women’s Supporters Group — formed last April to make the club a safer space for women — wrote an open letter to the club last week asking them not to sign the defender as they said that “it tells women that we don’t matter”.

Wednesday boss Rohl ruled out a transfer after his side beat Plymouth 1-0 in the Championship on Tuesday evening: “I’d not normally speak after a game about a player who is not here, that’s not in my mind, but I have made a final decision.

“I’ve said before with transfers that I always look to the whole picture, and that was the same in this case. I’m very happy with my team here, I know Kristian Pedersen will come back soon, and that’s the reason why I will stay with my squad. Nico Schulz will not be coming.”

Continue Reading